S1E5: Rebranding Gen-X, Coolhunting, The Day The Earth Stood Still VS. Timo Maas
Written by Miles Shattuck on May 15, 2017
Did you know that college students today are being taught that Generation X is “the forgotten generation”? What a legacy.
In this episode, I explain why, when it comes to job prospects and career advancement for Gen-X, “reality bites”. I propose a rebranding of Gen-X based not on the generation’s perceived lack of influence and underrepresentation in popular culture and sociology, but on its contributions and its historical significance. After all, Gen-X is the last generation to know the world before the internet took over.
Is X really the generation that time forgot? Not anymore.
- Do you know Steve Spatz?
- Demonstration of how a soundtrack from a classic black and white film is featured in a track from
- German-born DJ (and fellow Gen-Xer), Timo Maas.
- Cool hunting, featuring a clip from Frontline: The Merchants of Cool
- The Generation X predicament
- Excerpt from Jeff Gordinier’s book, X Saves the World: How Generation X Got the Shaft But Can Still Keep Everything from Sucking
- What will ‘privacy’ really mean for future generations, after the Baby Boomers and Generation X pass on?
Music from Timo Maas, Royksopp, and J-Cole.
Recorded at KPSU Portland’s College Radio on May 4, 2017